The NLAO will:
Advocate: Promote Optometry and eye health care through advocacy.
Educate and Support: Encourage and facilitate Optometrists to practice to the highest level of their education and provide valuable support and leadership in all modes of practice.
Communicate: Engage in clear and effective communication with members, patients and the public.
Priority # 1
Promote Optometry and eye health care through advocacy
The NLAO will demonstrate the value of quality vision care for all stakeholders in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Increased advocacy activities targeted towards the Government
- Increased marketing and public relations
- Increased interaction with other health care professionals
- Increased evidence and outcome sharing with all stakeholders
- Increased advocacy activities with the Department of Health
- Identify and share data/new innovations with all stakeholders
- Show the value of practicing to full scope of practice
- Collaborate and partner with other health professionals
- Educate the public and promote awareness of eye health and the importance of routine care
Priority # 2
Educate and Support
Encourage and facilitate Optometrists to practice to the highest level of their education
The NLAO will support members and demonstrate value of membership in the Association
- Increased collaboration with the NL College of Optometrists to ensure that Members work to full scope of practice
- Innovative continuing education programs and improved professional development opportunities
- Increased interaction with new graduates or new members to support first years of practice
- Increased interaction with members through an enhanced communications plan
- Regular meetings with College for sharing and collaboration
- Organize an annual CE program that is innovative and cutting edge
- Draft and implement a new communications plan for members
- Implement a new grad/new member welcome plan
- Implement a members-only section of the website which offers resources and tools for members
Priority # 3
Engage in clear and effective communication with members, patients and the public.
Increase the appreciation of the benefits of quality vision care for all stakeholders in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Increased communication with government, patients, public and other health professionals
- Increased public relations and more interaction with other health professionals
- Draft and Implement and Public Relations Communications Plan
- Coordinate an annual health professionals networking event
- Increase the collaboration with government officials
- Increase the knowledge of the public through a public education program